Friday, December 4, 2009

SO PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW!!!!! AGAIN!!!!

Via Sam Stein at the Huffington Post who reports on this story. Read those and mine below is just a further rant.


I am self-employed, my wife works two part-time jobs. No employer based insurance is available to us. Last year, after years of not having any insurance my wife let me sign her up on my catastrophic health insurance plan. I still have to convince her every month to pay the bill.

I was looking at new plans for me and the kid and was able to add her for what appeared to be about $100 or so. Signed up on-line, got a quote and sent in the paperwork. The policy comes back being about an extra $150 to add her. (She has actually used health care in the past and this is counted against people when they sign up for insurance.) Bite the bullet, got to be responsible. So we started paying the monthly payment of around $500 for a policy that has a $5000.00 deductible and and bunch of really fine print. It isn't health care, it really is insurance against the dreaded day when you hear from the doctor, "I have some bad news...." And then it might be useless.

Now apparently we are not paying enough to meet Wall Street's expectation for their profits.

Aetna President Mark Bertolini laid out how the company planned to raise prices to improve the company's profit margin. He said the firm had "implemented a combination of underwriting enhancements, pricing actions and plan design changes, intended to ensure that each customer is priced to an appropriate margin."

They are making a profit, just not enough. (What is that called again? Oh yes, I think it is "greed") So Aetna will be raising rates and kicking out clients who use health care. Nice. These people are so sure they are going to win this health care reform issue, they are people who are such bullies, who have the entire Republican Party and 3/4 of the Democrats in their pocket, they can just lay a big stinking pile of crap right on the American public, and then expect us to thank them.

No reform needed here. The best medical care in the world!!! And good public policy. Let the marketplace decide who deserves health care, no government "death panels" needed. It just happens by the magical power of the free markets.

I am not sure if I am going to try and convince the wife to pay that bill again.

No comments: